Lentil Loaf Recipe
This lentil loaf is perfect for busy weeknights when you’re craving something hearty and healthy. It’s loaded with plant-based protein, and is a wonderful vegetarian entrée that will satisfy carnivores as well. To save time, the lentils can be cooked in advance and refrigerated, or you can substitute one 15-ounce can of (cooked) lentils. *We recommend using organically grown ingredients.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 4–6
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 cup dry gray or brown lentils
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup (gluten-free) regular rolled oats
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon coconut oil
⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- Mix the flax meal with ¼ cup water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the lentils and simmer for 25–30 minutes, until lentils are tender. Drain any excess water and partially mash lentils. Scrape into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the onion and oats into the lentils until mixed. Add the flax mixture, tomato sauce, garlic powder, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Grease a loaf pan with the coconut oil, then spoon in the lentil mixture. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon, and then top with the BBQ sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes, or until the edges of the loaf are dry and firm.
- Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of pan, then turn out onto a serving platter.
- Top with additional BBQ sauce if desired.